Sunday, August 05, 2007

Busy Weekend...

We had another busy weekend, lots to do and too little time to fit it in. Our time with Nate just flies by, things are always so exciting with him. Here is a rundown of our weekend...
We went to the park and had lots of fun swinging.

Austin finally started getting his bath in the "big" tub. He LOVES it!

Austin sitting on daddies shoulders...

Austin eating his first icecream cone, he LOVES icecream, but who doesn't?

We went to Melissa's welcome home from Africa party. It was great to see her again and see some pictures from Africa. She also made us an authentic African meal. I was very impressed!
We also spent a couple of hours stripping wallpaper in my parent's half bath. WOW, what a project! It is taking SO long. Anyone have any advice? We have the paper and glue all off the walls, but have another layer that is stuck to the drywall. It is starting to take off the drywall with it. Yikes!
This was Nate's idea..."Lets just take off all the drywall and gut the whole bathroom"...!

9 comments:

Reagan said...

Well...to quote you sister -

"dave & rachel said...
Ha! At least you didn't have to scrape it all off. You're removing it the *easy* way. :) Smile. "

She left this comment when Jere posted about finding three layers of wallpaper in our bathroom. You deffinately would not have to be careful!

April said...

I would have to say that gutting would be simpler that stripping wallpaper. Sorry I don't have any advice, I just remember what a horrible pain it was.

Grace Powell said...

are you sure that layer of paper isn't the one that faces the sheetrock?

if it gets bad, you may just want to put a liner paper up first, or use one of those heavy primers that fills a little to prep the wall. talk to someone at your local sherwin williams and they can direct you to either of those products.

Heather Anne Riden said...

I remember doing that 2 summers ago in our old house before we rented it again. That was tough stuff! But, in the end it was definitely worth it. As for advice... I just followed my parents orders! :)
Cute pics, by the way!

Rachel said...

Yes, it did look like it was the sheet rock paper that you were getting into. The wallpaper must have had very sticky adhesive, which sometimes makes it difficult to remove without gouging the wall board too. I wouldn't gut the whole bathroom, if possible...I think you should just sand it smooth, and then patch any obvious gouges with the mud that you would use to mud and tape drywall (or use spackle or something similar). Then use a heavy primer first to even out the texture and give the paint something to stick to.

Drywalling would be a huge job, and the bathroom isn't that bad. If you're going to spend money on anything, buy a new countertop and sink, and replace the light fixture. Much better uses for your money, in my opinion. :)

Michelle said...

I dont know much about that you are doing but with the several moves I have been through, I have never liked taking old wallpaper off walls or kitchen cabinets. Thats so nice of you guys! btw I love Austin's outfit.

Ruth said...

Reagan...I read when Rachel posted that. It would be easier but in a different way!
I am not sure what layer we are taking off anymore! But scraping away we are. We aren't taking off the drywall, Nate was just being his crazy self by suggesting it.

Anonymous said...

i like nate idea, it is so much fun tearing stuff up.

Kari said...

We had the same problem. Our quick fix, use light weight joint compound and texture the walls. We then used Kilz and paint and thank goodness we were done. HOpe that you are done with the project by now though.