
Fun Facts about Alaska...
* Purchased from Russia in 1867 for under 2 cents an acre.
* 586,400 Square Miles
* We are 2 times the size of Texas
* We have 29 volcanoes
* 33,000 miles of coastline!
* 1,400 miles North to South
* 2,700 miles East to West
* Over 1/2 the world's Glaciers
* 55 miles east of Russia
* We are the only state to have coastlines on three different seas.
Arctic Ocean, Pacific Ocean and Bering Sea.
Facts about Anchorage...
Population: 261,283 (42% of the state population)
Alaska has about one registered pilot for every 58 residents, six times as many pilots per capita and 14 times as many airplanes per capita as the rest of the United States.
You can see the Chugach, Kenai, Talkeetna, Tordrillo, Aleutian and Alaska mountain ranges from Anchorage. Mount McKinley, 130 miles (208 km) north of downtown, can be seen on clear days. This 20,320-foot peak is the tallest mountain in North America.
Anchorage sits at the base of the Chugach Mountains along the coast of Cook Inlet in Southcentral Alaska.
Alaska is actually the northern, western and easternmost point in the United States. The Aleutian Chain extends into the Eastern Hemisphere.
6 comments:
Very interesting..thanks for sharing the fun facts! I always feel so ignorant when it comes to history and facts about our own nation! I can't wait to start seeing some pictures of where you'll be. I'm sure it will be gorgeous! When is your exact date of departure?
That's pretty cool.
Looking forward to visiting you there!
Thanks for the research. It gives some interesting facts. Being able to see a mt. from 130 miles away is awesome. Actually, much of what you hear about the geography of Alaska reveals an awesome God!
I already have my vacation planned out. Thanks for talking with me yesterday, ruth!
I didnt know half of those things about Alaska! We may just have to come visit:)
Post a Comment