Sunday, April 29, 2007
5 Months Old!
Yesterday Austin turned 5 months old! My parents came down last weekend and took tons of pictures, so I will have more to share later on this week. It is amazing how fast he is growing. I no longer think of him as a newborn, which is kinda sad! He now weighs 15lbs, is 26"long, and seems to be growing daily. We tried rice cereal for the first time today and didn't have much success...I don't think he is quite ready to swallow it (or maybe he was just tired). We will try again soon. We are still having trouble with the bottle, any advice moms? He refuses the bottle these days, nomatter if it is formula or pumped milk. I think I might be destined to be one of those moms who nurses for a LONG time. (Not that that is a bad thing, but a night off wouldn't be so bad either! : )) Anyways, if any of you guys have ever had that problem let me know what to do!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Ruth,I think he looks like you in this picture! Thanks for sharing.-Anna
I think I already told you this, but Simon took FOREVER to take a bottle. He didn't really like it until he had weaned, around 9 months. :) Have you ever had Nate try? I wouldn't think that you would be able to give him one, since he knows that you are supposed to be nursing him!
With Simon, he was still getting up once at night when he was this age, and Dave would feed him a bottle... and for some reason since it was so late, he would take it without a fuss.
Rachel...Nate has tried, in fact he is really the only one who does try. Pat tried on our vacation last month and got him to take about an ounce, which is the most he has taken in a long time.
Austin is down to getting up once a night too, but he won't even let Nate get near him with a bottle, he won't even try to suck and just screams, so it is easier for me to just nurse him.
My babies never took a bottle, but I didn't try very hard with them. It's such a hassle. My next one I hope to so I can leave them over 4 hours at a time! I think you got to consistently give them one from the time they are 2 mo.
My babies nursed once a night till they were weaned...15 mo...
Well, that was no help! Sorry! Hope you can make some progress.
He sure is a cutie! I love his round face!
patrick never did take a bottle either. i weaned him at 10 months though and he went straight to sippy cup. i guess you have tried different bottles? some of them, it is just too hard for the baby to get it out of. i have also heard of putting a little breast milk on the nipple of the bottle. dont know if it works though.
I dont have any advise on the bottle:) but he is SO cute...I think he looks like you in that picture.
Hum...you guys aren't giving me much hope! I guess Austin will have to be attached to me for a while longer. I do want to try to wean him before we move, but he will be 10 months by then...
My kids liked trying to drink water out of our cups. A tiny sip at a time. They thought it was fun. If you can get him used to that, then maybe around 6 months you can try a sippy cup with water then eventually change it to formula.
Mine never took bottles and they weren't weaned until they could drink milk, so I don't KNOW that this will work, but maybe :D
Michelle Moses
Okay, I'm going to put my two cents in! Kate never took a bottle either, but we started her on a sippy cup at 6 months with juice. I started weaning her around 9 months and we went right to cow's milk (this is technically a no no! -so talk to your pediatrician) but it worked for us since she refused formula. I guess I'm probably lucky that she wasn't allergic! Anyway, we liked the sippy cup, "Nuby"; not sure who makes it, but it has a soft spout unlike most of the others that are hard plastic. And just like the eating cereal thing, it takes a while for the kiddies to figure out how to drink from something different. Keep us updated on how its going!
Post a Comment