

So, you've probably heard by now, that one of Alaska's mountains is about to erupt. Apparently, I am always the last to know about these things, as I think my parents were the ones who actually mentioned it to me. Today I got a call from the base, telling me they were going to bring me masks and a check list of what to do if it does actually erupt. So, I'm thinking that maybe I should be a little more concerned than I already am! Here's is the info that I have found out so far, that I thought was interesting...
- Alaska's volcanoes are not like Hawaii's. Most of them don't put out the red river of lava.
- Instead, they typically explode and shoot ash 30,000 to 50,000 feet high — more than nine miles — into the jet stream.
- Particulate can injure skin, eyes and breathing passages. The young, the elderly and people with respiratory problems are especially susceptible. Put enough ash under a windshield wiper and it will scratch glass.
- It's also potentially deadly for anyone flying in a jet. Think of flying an airliner into a sandblaster. Redoubt blew on Dec. 15, 1989, and sent ash 150 miles away into the path of a KLM jet carrying 231 passengers. Its four engines flamed out. As the crew tried to restart the engines, "smoke" and a strong odor of sulfur filled the cockpit and cabin, according to a USGS account. The jet dropped more than 2 miles, from 27,900 feet to 13,300 feet, before the crew was able to restart all engines and land the plane safely at Anchorage. The plane required $80 million in repairs.
I'm hoping the baby doesn't come during the midst of this eruption! Yikes!
12 comments:
wowzers! Well, you aren't the last to know - I hadn't heard about it yet, but I'm not really a news-watcher. I'm sure it makes you nervous!
We'll pray that you can rest in the Lord during this time - and it probably wouldn't hurt to have a fully stocked pantry and fridge either! :)
I saw that on my homepage today and it made me wonder how close you were to it. Did the base mention if that area was effected last time it blew?
I find natural "disasters" like that fascinating. To think that our God created something so powerful...and it doesn't even compare to His power.
Wow, that is a lot to be thinking about. I had no idea either about the volcano like Rachel I am not much of a news watcher either. We'll pray for peace for you
Wow, I hadn't heard that. Praying for you all. Maybe I am glad I live in Altus...
So how far away are you from there? I'll be praying.
We live 100 miles from this mountain. Which sounds like pretty far to me, but apparently it will still affect us. A lot of it has to do with the direction the wind is blowing and such.
Wow! I hadn't heard about it, either! Apparently, Alaska is a pretty exciting place to live...good OR bad! Praying that whatever happens resolves before the baby comes!! :-) Praying for you!!
Wow! Does Nate fly there much? (That might be a really dumb question.)
Praying for you guys!
Just heard the about this from my parents. Did they restock the grocery stores so you could get some goods? Sounded like everyone was stockpiling!?
Join us at the hospital if this thing erupts. I think that is what we have decided to do, even though it doesn't sound like much fun to me.
We are praying for you! One way or the other your little girl is going to have a great birth story! I think it's interesting that you military wives, who already have an "unusual" life, are also placed in even more crazy situations. I remember Brian and Stacy had to escape to Coronado Island right after one of the boys was born because of the terrible wildfires in Cali. Just more of God's protection and provision that you get to experience first hand, eh?
wow! sounds exciting and dangerous. i was just going to post how close you were to having a little girl, but i see you have lots going on!
Post a Comment