Okay...here is another choice...lets call it #5. Does anyone like this? It was one of our choices at the store. It is darker (more the color of dirt). :) Firm but comfortable. I like the color, I was just thinking I would end up going very light so it didn't make the finals.

I need help picking out furniture!!
For those of you who know me well, it will come to you as no surprise that I am having trouble making yet another decision. I am SO bad at it.
Below are three of the four living room sets that we are choosing from, and I just can't make up my mind. The fourth one I can't find a picture of. It is the same material as the sectional pictured #2, but it comes as separate pieces.
All four of the sets are microfiber material.


Any input would be appreciated...I am driving my husband crazy because I keep changing my mind. :)
33 comments:
I like the 3rd one the best.
Funny, Andy and I were just critiquing our couches last night (we've had them 3 years. Take a look in this post http://andyandjenica.blogspot.com/2007/10/ok-alright-its-october-1st.html)...
I hate to get too practical on you because I did not want to be when we bought our couches. But, I would pick the color closest to dirt. You will be less stressed about them.
Also keep in mind; the back pillows, unless really sturdy, may sag and get mis-shapen.
The perfect couch in my mind would have tight attached backs (and wouldn't sink too much when you sit) and be a med gray or brown if cloth. But preferrably leather. =)
Oh, and we got 2 couches instead of the typical couch and loveseat. They were only $50 different in cost.
I vote #4, 2 couches.
I sound like I think I'm an expert or something. You can just ignore me.
Believe it or not I had the same thought as Jenica. I didn't think of the color, but she's right. I always look at the back cushions to see if they come off (if they do, then it can get out of hand).
BTW, yes, I did know that you are from OKC. How fun! Enoch is already getting in touch with some people.
Haha! Dave and I are looking for new living room couches right now too! I came out of 3 furniture stores completely depressed. Apparently I am totally out of style. :) Everything is so modern.
So here's my opinion: I like the lines of the first set, but that is a super light color. Maybe you could get it scotch-guarded? We have loved our grey-green set upstairs b/c it shows NOTHING, but I have heard that microfiber cleans easily with a wet washcloth. Maybe you'd be fine.
This is fun...maybe I'll do this too! When we were shopping I was wishing you lived close so you could help me decide. :)
What room is this for? Living room or den?
I really, really like the sectional, but I don't know if I would put it in a living room? Maybe a den/family room? I guess my vote would be the couches that are the same color. I love the warmer tone in the sectional.
I agree with what the others have shared.. We do have cushions that are not sewn on and I love that I can refill them with stuffing..rex was just telling me the other night it is time. They are looking pretty saggy. We have red microfiber and I love it. Everything has come up with a wet washcloth, ink pen scribbles, puke, pee, you get the idea! :) When we bought ours, the sales guy told us not to bother with stain guarding them since mf has such a great reputaion. Although, I would be pretty tempted to if I was going light.
For our next set of couches I would like white... oh wait...you weren't asking that question! haha :)
Jenica-I like your couches. What material is that? It seems right now the only fabrics they have on the market are leather or microfiber. I really wanted just cloth, but can't find that. Good advice on the back cushions, I will have to check them out. Our other couch has down cushions that come off and they are always needing to be "fluffed". Would your first choice be leather? I thought I would be more obsessive over them if I purchased leather.
Rachel, I wish we could go shopping together! Nate was just saying he wished you could come up and help me! :) I like the first one too, I am pretty sure I could get it scotch guarded, but will have to check on that.
Shawna, It is for our living room. We already have another couch for our family room area, and it is definitely fit for a family room. The problem I am having with the 4th set is this...on each of the arms has an attached pillow. Do you guys think that is ugly? You can tell on the sectional (sofa section) that it has the same thing. Well, all three pieces in group 4 have the pillow attached to the arm. I just think it may date the sofa sooner than the other ones will??? Not sure. I do love the color though, and it goes well with our floor.
FYI, I like hearing what you want next! :) White slipcovered would actually be my first too, but I can't find that anywhere, and I don't want to spend the money to order it from PB or Crate and Barrel.
Thanks everyone!
Personally I wouldn't do the pillow on the arm, I hadn't thought about it dating it, but it seems cheaper to me. That and the recliner we bought to go in miles room (now in our living room) has those pillows on the arms, and I am convinced they will be the first thing to wear out. I am always sitting on the side of my couch..on the arm, so I guess I just imagine them going flat, and having no way to stuff them, or them getting pulled off, or the stitching coming lose. I dunno..it wouldn't be my first choice..
So I guess I am no help at all. My sil Katie has something very similar to picture three but with the color of picture 1. She has not had any problem with the color.
My plan is to get white ones from IKEA. I have talked with several girls online who have them and they say the slipcovers wash up great. :)
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69841037
If you like leather, I would go that route...durability, warm in color. We love leather, just never had a room to but it in. We tried when we did the basement remodel but it wouldn't fit down the stairs..you probably remember that. I think you helped talk me out of reclining sofas! :)
Can't wait to see what you pick!
John and I like the third look the best. I would love to have white couches... maybe one day when the kids are grown. I'd probably freak out anytime we had visitors though. I agree on the whole leather thing, as you can tell by my three leather couches. ;)Its great with a baby now days. Completely worry free and easy to just wipe up. However, the couch in our living room can be kinda cold. Regardless, the cushions are attached and firm and I don't foresee any problems with wear and tear at this point.
Let us know what you decide.
Wow, this is a hot topic!
I could never handle white couches.
#3 are pretty. Can you get a darker color?
#1 I like 2 bottom cushions for less cracks to sink into...
#3 Yes, I didn't see those side pillows. I remember those when we were shopping and they are funny looking.
Ruth, our fabric is cotton, sort of a tweed weave. We got scotch guard, but it's still not the best to clean.
Shawna, you are such a smarty! That's a great idea to restuff your pillows. I'm going to have to try that. Mine are getting lumpy. What if you put a foam piece in the front to make them more sturdy?
I wouldn't put the white couches in a main living area...just an alcove sitting area or something..and they would be washable. :) I am sure it is a crazy idea, but I see it in magazines and I LOVE the way it looks. Rex REALLY wants leather, so that will most likely be our next couch purchase.
I need to open mine and see what they are stuffed with? they are pretty squishy. I was thinking I would just use TONS of polyfill.
It seems like the foam would work. Let me know if you try it.
sorry to hijack your blog ruth! :)
I LOVE those IKEA couches Shawna! I checked and they don't ship to Alaska. :( That was exactly what I had always pictured. I think it IS the magazines...I always see white couches in them (or very light neutral couches), that must be my attraction to them.
Maybe I will have to start looking at leather...Nate would be so happy.
Ok, I LOVE choice #5. Of course that is because I bought that set and it didn't fit down my basement stairs. So that is my FAVORITE one of them all. :)
I like #3 and #5, and I don't think I would get a light color with kids. And,we have leather couches and it is great because if they get sticky or anything, it just wipes right off. Although, I think you know I would change the color of my couches...
So Ruth, I have the second pictured couch. (white colored with patterned pillows) Soon, I am going to buy some more peices from that set and I really like my couch but it IS light. We got it scotch gaurded when we bought it. I don't know if you have seen this, but there are other colors in that style (red, green, mocha and the whiter color.) I really like the mocha and red colors but I already have the white one so that is what i am probably going to stick with. I really like how I can take all of the pillows off to reshape them. Something bad I have found is that since there are only two pillows, if you sit in the middle I feel like it starts to sag as opposed to having 3 pillows and the middle person can just sit on a pillow themselves. For that reason, I like the last picture set. :)
I don't know if my set is really in the running, but I wouldn't care if you bought it...just FYI :)
Ok enough from me!
I don't know where you are shopping- but you can get a lot of sofas in fabric. I do it all the time.
Here's my advice for client's when sofa shopping:
It's got to be comfortable, yet firm. It will only get softer.
Look carefully at the cushion construction, you don't want the edges squishing or rolling any sooner than necessary. You can tell this by examining the wear on the floor model and sitting on the edge of the cushion for a few minutes. If it doesn't pop up quickly or you can tell you sat on it when you get up - DON'T BUY IT.
Keep in mind that if you get a scatterback sofa you will be constantly picking up pillows.
That being said, loose fitted cusions are always better than attached because you can take them off to have them cleaned or replace the fill if needed.
Three seat cushions will hold up better than two.
Always buy the extra cleaning coverage they offer you.
Look at the back of the sofa. If it is poorly made it will be very loose (just fabric stretched over the frame) if you touch it. Unless you never move it from a wall, you are inviting wear problems.
YOU HAVE A BOY and you live in a place with a lot of SNOW (wet) get a darker color!
That being said, of the styles I like the picture of the one on the bottom the best. If they can't get it in another color, go somewhere else because someone has it in the color you want. Believe me. There are limitless options out there for sofas.
Ruth,
I agree with Grace; you can find what you like. After hours of sofa shopping, I finally asked a saleswoman, and she brought me over to a area with catalogs and fabric swatches. I had totally forgotten that you can pick your style and fabric; several of the furniture manufacturers do this. This is what I did with that red couch in my kitchen. Anyway, so that is an option probably. They most likely have a floor model you can sit on to check for comfort.
I like 3 bottom cushions and 3 flat back cushions, like Grace mentioned - less sag in the middle, I think.
I am looking at this set too. What do you think?
Delta Havana
My advice is to listen to Grace's advice because I didn't and I should have (don't tell her I said that.)
I would recommend against a sectional. We bought one, and you're very limited as to how you can arrange a room. Not only that, but there's no leg room at the corner seat, so it's can't actually be utilized. It's wasted space.
If you do decide to look at leather, do some research on leather quality. There are so many different types of leather, and different ways that it is treated, which is why there's such a big range of prices on leather furniture. We have cheap leather (hey, it was affordable) but we'll have to replace them a lot sooner, because the leather wears out easily. For now, though, with the kids being young, they are really easy to clean.
My mother-in-law has microfiber sofas. They show everything, but she had a special protectant put on them, and they do spot wash easily.
I'm with you on the fabric, but even though the light colors are beautiful and clean looking, I know I personally would have a hard time not freaking out at my kids everytime they came within two feet of them. Perhaps you are a more patient, laid-back mother than I!
So I guess I like #5 the best. I've actually looked at that set myself. :) But I am so stuck on the Pottery Barn slipcovered look - trying to decide if I want exposed legs or not. What are your thoughts on that?
Oh, and here is the chair to that set.
Delta-Havana chair
Wow, I have some opinionated friends! :) Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I will try to remember each point as we go looking again. :)
Reagan, I really like your sofa, but I see what you mean about the two cushions verses three. Our other sofa has two and I hate sitting in the middle! The store we saw this sofa in will NOT order in a different color, I have already asked. I know they make it in other colors, but Alaska is weird, really, most stores are locally owned so they do what they please. :(
Grace, love you! You crack me up.
Okay, I have asked around about ordering in other colors, and really they WON'T. I did go in JC Penneys and they said they would, but it takes at least 3 months and I don't want to wait that long. I want something NOW (or at least soon)! :) You have some very good points though, and I will try my best to utilize them. Do you want to fly up this weekend and help? :)
Rachel, I like that set you found. What is the material? I have been to that store too, probably even seen it. I also am stuck on the PB look. I don't mind exposed legs though, I think it is more formal, and thats okay for a living room. What room are you shopping for? The set in your living room isn't even that old.
Christina, Good advice about the sectional...I don't think we will go that route, as we would like more seating.
Thanks everyone!
Ruth, You have so many wonderful interior designer friends. Now I know who to ask when we decide to get new furniture! Mom
PS: I like #5 too. But, I think Dad wants leather for our next couch.
We waited 3 mo. for ours. I thought they were joking when they said it would take that long.
You gals are right about the 3 cushion thing. Now that I think about it, 2 people usually only brave sitting on our couches. They're nice for laying on though -the butt/hips fit right where the crack is.
Also, we sometimes take off the back pillows to make it wider so we can lounge together while watching a movie.
The pressure is on Ruth! There is no excuse for not getting the perfect couch even if you are in AK. ;)
Hmmm....yeah, I guess exposed legs do make them look a little more formal. I am still not sure, but I found a couple sets tonight (with legs) that were okay.
We're shopping for the living room. The couch and chair in there are almost 6 years old, but they are hanging in there. We are going to move them into the basement - Dave is wanting to get rid of the tv in the living room and get more seating, something more compatible with having people over, Bible study, etc...so maybe a couch, loveseat and chair and ottoman?
I just cannot make a decision though. The set I linked to is by far the cheapest option, but I do like it a lot. Tonight I went and looked at some leather sets and some fabrics for build your own sets. I decided that I needed help though. I'm definitely not a good decision maker. :)
So I definitely sympathize. I think #5 would go well with your dining room table (are you keeping that?) because they are both kinda rustic. But I like the lines of #4 too. They are both cute. What pieces are you wanting to get? Do you have a large living room?
Taking pictures was a good idea... if you find more sets, post them too! But if you don't, I really think you'll be fine with any of them that you choose. Hey, you made that free sage green couch look great with accessories! These are all a huge set up. :)
#5, #5, #5!!!!
For the love of all the is good and decent... #5.
The darker colored furniture is "handsome". It looks more masculine. Seriously.
If Nate is truly a man, he'll say he likes #5.
I can't help but laugh at you Ruth and Rachel too. You girls used to give me a hard time about taking so long to make up my mind and now look at you, your'e the same way. LOL
Thanks for the laugh. But I understand. I say take your time to figure it out because you will have to live with the decision.
love,
dad
It makes so much more sense now! It's all your fault, Dad. You didn't teach us how to make quick decisions. :)
Haha! Too funny.
Haha! I just did. :) Go look at my blog.
Dad it IS your fault! :) I knew there must be someone else to blame! :)
Josh, Nate does like #5. His only stipulations were, absolutely NO RED and of course, no more Sage Green. Other than that, if I am happy he is happy.
Rachel, I didn't take the pictures of the sets myself. I just got them off the websites for the stores and posted them on here. You should do the same so I can see what you are thinking about.
well, i am really late on this one, but whats one more opinion, right? i love sectionals. they have lots of seating and can be moved to different positions. but i agree with whoever said, they are more family room, den. couches just looko better in living rooms. i would like to start looking at couches too. i have never had new ones, and these have been through two familys and are starting to look it.
WOW. Thirty comments?? That's hugely impressive. I like the second from the top (white with red square pillows), but Anna's going to way in too. Caleb
#5 is my first choice. It is the same style as our leather couch in the loft. The rounded arms are nice and the high back allows you to rest your head. We do like the leather though. I agree that the sectional is limitting and oversized. My eye sees color first when shopping, but comfort is important and good structure. Doing the reseach and asking questions will make you better at making a wise choice for what is best for your family. You are doing great! Pat
Well, I don't think I have anything insightful to add after all that! I am just now reading this and amazed that there are so many opinions about couches! I have never thought about it much before. I think you have such amazingly good taste and I am sure you will pick a great one. I like the 2nd picture (choice #1). It's similiar to our set except we have three cushions on the couch and the back is connected (vs pillows), and ours is darker -moss green with white accent pillows. We did get the stain treatment and the stain remover kit. What color are your walls? If you went with the darker color you could do light accessories. Anyway, what do I know? I am excited to see what you will choose! -Anna
Post a Comment