Thursday, December 11, 2008

Things I'm thankful for during Alaska's winters...


  1. The city of Anchorage does an excellent job clearing streets. Even our neighborhood streets get cleared very promptly.
  2. Two words...studded tires...they are wonderful!
  3. Nate does such a great job keeping our driveway shoveled...seriously he is quite particular about it...it must be shoveled before we drive on it!
  4. Warm, tall boots...I have quite the collection these days...I used to never wear boots but now I wear them almost daily.
  5. The few peaks of sunshine we see. We don't see the sun too often these days, but the few times we do are SO wonderful...
I haven't had a very thankful heart these days, living through the dark cold winter up here. I'm not a huge fan of the Winter season, and to live somewhere that has Winter at least half the year has been well, quite an adjustment for me. So, today I decided to start thinking about the positives and this was the list I came up with...

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pic Ruth. Is this looking out on the bay from your neighborhood?
dad

Audrey said...

I'm still jealous we're not in Alaska. I need to make a thankfulness list for Altus.

Kelly said...

I'm sure it has been quite an adjustment going from Oklahoma-land of year round flip flops- to Alaska-land of "tall boots"!! I don't mind winter but I do love the sun! Praying you have many sunny days that encourage your heart!!

Kari said...

I'm amazed how you handle the winters...Iowa is tough enough on me. However, your post encouraged me to be more positive and thankful. Hope that you get to come home soon and enjoy a bit more sunshine.
BTW, I want some good boots, any recommendations. They are so expensive...any good places to find cheaper ones?

bandanachick said...

Dad...thanks! Yeah, it is a picture of the bay, but just farther down south than our neighborhood.
Audrey...you should! I bet you could come up with a LOT of things. :) I will do your tag soon...I just keep forgetting!
Kari...I'll email you or message you about what I have found...

Rachel said...

So much is our outlook, isn't it? There will always be something to be dissatisfied about, and Alaska probably has lots! But I think you have the answer there - choosing to find joy in the small things. I am always reminding Ethan of that, that cheerfulness is a choice, and whenever I say it, it convicts me immediately, because I know I frequently have the same problem. The negatives are easier to see, for some reason.

So keep it up, sister...keep reminding yourself of God's presence in your life and His daily provisions for you. I know you are doing a great job - and just think - you will see sunshine in a few days! Can't wait to see you!

Reagan said...

This is such a good reminder. Thanks for posting it - and here I am thinking about how nice it would be if it snowed :)

Rachel - I need to keep that saying in my head "cheerfulness is a choice" it's such a good one! I'm sure mom's have tons of reminders like that :)

Michelle said...

I must say, a view like that is definitely something to thank the Lord for! I'll be praying for you. I know how those emotions can go all out of whack during this season of your life.

jenica said...

Yeah, that view is spectacular!
I wouldn't do so well up there, especially the not much sun aspect.
Your list has given me something to think about in the winter that is upon us. We all really do have so much to be thankful for!

(This reminded me of the email I just got about some of my ancestor settlers who lived in a mud hut and barely survived the IA winter. Can you imagine? It really convicted me of whining about feeling cooped up.)

Oh, can you send me the email about the boots, too. ;)

Eryn said...

i bet you have some awesome boots! you should take apicture of your collection and show them to us. i would love to see them!

Nature Notes from Nadvornia said...

This is one of my favorite mental/spiritual exercises too!

Speaking of exercise and boots, make sure you wear roomy and comfortable ones when you fly here! I'll be praying for you- we flew to and from Cali when I was 36 weeks pregnant and just that 3+ hour flight gave me some amazing cankles! I tried to exercise my feet and move my ankles even while sitting, just so the blood wouldn't pool, but they still got so swollen... I had my pants at capri length when we left, but I sure rolled them down quickly when we got off the plane- it was not a pretty sight =) Hope you'll fare much better!

Unknown said...

Hi Ruth,
Can I make a suggestion that will help those winter blue feelings?
A dose of high vitamin cod liver oil gives the body the right kind of vitamin D it needs, especialy during the winter.
It is also a highly essential item for pregnancy.
And no, it is not toxic. THe fake over the counter A and D are toxic, especially if you tak one without the other.
Historically, high vitamin clo was taken by most people up until 60 years ago.
Now we tend to put all our faith in a medical entity that has been around for only 100 years.

I myself have noticed a vast difference this winter taking it, versus last winter before taking it.
Plus, we never get sick anymore.
I've got the links in our blog for Dr. Rons.
Paula

Christina said...

I loved reading your thankful list, Ruth. Our attitudes are so dependent upon what we choose to focus on. Thank you for the reminder to be thankful. Afterall, godliness with contentment is great gain!

Glad to hear you get to come see the family over the holidays. I'll bet after Alaska weather you'll be wanting to wear shorts in Oklahoma!

bandanachick said...

Sarah...thanks! I hadn't even thought about that, and we have a much longer than 3 hr flight.
Paula...thanks...my solution was to move, but since that's not an option, maybe I'll try yours. :)
Christina...we are going to Nate's parents in KS, and from what I've heard they aren't going to have too great of weather either. :( So I'm thinking no shorts!

Jessie said...

Thanks for the reminder to look on the bright side :)
I think you should model some of your cute boots so we can see some Alaska fashion :)

Shawna said...

I want the boot email too! I am assuming you ordered them online? I can't find any here in stores (that I have looked) that I like.